A quick note by way of introduction may be required here. For quite some time now, certain members of the Richmond WriMos have been trying to persuade me to watch the CW show Supernatural. I have relented and am now embarking on watching Supernatural via the wonders of Netflix. This series of posts will simply be my first impressions, almost stream of consciousness style, presented in the form of the time elapsed in the episode and my thoughts expressed as bullet points. It’s effectively live tweeting the episodes except I don’t have to stick to 140 characters or fewer. So without further ado here’s my take on:
Season 2 Episode 03 – “Bloodlust”
- 01:11 – Young woman in white shirt running through dark woods at neat. I do believe it’s our old friend, the Inevitable Teaser Death.
- 02:02 – Decapitation via sickle is a pretty darn grisly Inevitable Teaser Death as such things go.
- 02:25 – The Impala is back! And it’s still black! To reinforce this we have AC/DC on the soundtrack performing a song, the very title of which revels in the concept of things that are black being back. I think it’s called “Thunderstruck” or something like that.
- 03:28 – This police officer has a luxurious mustache. I just want to drink it in in all of its fabulousness.
- 05:38 – “So much effed up crap happens in Florida.” Indeed it does, which is why this website has a special tag for Florida.
- 06:19 – A whole lot of Silence of the Lambs riffs in that morgue scene.
- 06:55 – Apparently the Inevitable Teaser Death was a vampire. The boys have faced those before.
- 08:41 – So this dude is gonna be stalking the boys. I think him being a vampire would be too obvious. Perhaps he’s another Hunter?
- 10:09 – Yep. He’s a hunter. Or at least a guy who kills vampires.
- 13:32 – Non-Winchester hunter was kind of getting his ass kicked until Our Heroes showed up.
- 14:02 – Whoa. Dean is scary intense.
- 15:07 – “He’s the only one who gets to call me that.” Poor Sam(my)
- 18:15 – So vampires took this guy’s sister. It’s the Fox Mulder motivation.
- 19:43 – Well, Ellen’s back via telephone. Nice to see the show build up some supporting characters. Even if the odds are good that they’ll die horrifically sooner or later.
- 20:03 – Other hunter’s name is Gordon Walker. He’s just been compared to Hannibal Lecter. I assume that isn’t good.
- 20:43 – Gordon’s an extremist. All black & white, no nuance.
- 22:45 – Sam’s only gone and got himself kidnapped by vampires.
- 23:00 – It’s Tara from Buffy! But she’s on the pro-Vampire side? Willow would not approve.
- 23:38 – So these are friendly non-human-blood drinking vampires. I guess the farmers don’t like them drinking the ol’ cattle blood though. Tara us a vampire, and her character is actually named Lenore.
- 25:00 -They are freeing Sam unharmed, so maybe these are trustworthy vamps. I’m guessing Gordon might not be down with that.
- 28:00 – I think you should have seen that punch coming Sammy-boy, even if you are (probably) right about Dean’s feelings about Daddy. I saw it coming.
- 30:21 – Looks like they’re setting up Eli the vampire for a “we’re not so different, you and I” type of thing with Gordon.
- 32:02 – Gordon comes across as the real monster in his attack on Lenore. Pretty sure that’s the thematic point of the episode.
- 32:48 – The way Gordon’s torturing/interrogation of Lenore is shot with slow lingering shots of the knife slashing across her skin feels very voyeuristic, invoking a very sadistic vibe that’s deliberately uncomfortable for the viewer. At least this viewer.
- 34:05 – Oh, Gordon’s sister wasn’t killed by vampires, she was turned by them and he did the whole killing part. No wonder he’s coming off as such a wackjob.
- 35:39 – Lenore has some impressive vampiric willpower to resist Sam’s blood being drip fed to her like that.
- 37:15 – Dean does not take Gordon calling him “a killer – like me” well.
Damned solid episode. Widened the world slightly by introducing more hunters. Also introduced some welcome ambiguity and doubt into the heretofore ironclad “supernatural creature = evil” hegemony, which makes me wonder if that’s a note the season will be revisiting.