A quick note by way of introduction may be required here. For quite some time now, certain members of the Richmond WriMos have been trying to persuade me to watch the CW show Supernatural. I have relented and am now embarking on watching Supernatural via the wonders of Netflix. This series of posts will simply be my first impressions, almost stream of consciousness style, presented in the form of the time elapsed in the episode and my thoughts expressed as bullet points. It’s effectively live tweeting the episodes except I don’t have to stick to 140 characters or fewer. So without further ado here’s my take on:
Season 1 Episode 18 – “Something Wicked”
- 02:41 – So far the teaser feels kind of like a fairy tale, what with the Mom not being around, the point-of-view character being a little girl and the idea that there might be something out there. Of course, the original forms of most fairy tales are very, very dark so that might not be an entirely comforting milieu. I don’t think the little girl will get an Inevitable Teaser Death as the show has been reluctant to kill children, because network television.
- 03:46 – “Because I’m the oldest which means I’m always right.” As the oldest child in my family, I am totally in simpatico with Dean’s viewpoint here.
- 06:14 – How would you even have a fake ID with “bikini inspector” on it?
- 08:07 – So it looks like a degenerative coma is how they are getting around the not killing kids on TV thing.
- 10:07 – Ooh! Flashback Dean!
- 10:47 – Flashback Sam is watching Thundercats. Snarf! Snarf!
- 13:04 – Kid checking them in just fills the phrase “Two Queens” with double entendre.
- 17:48 – Room 237. Man, this show sure loves The Shining, at least the movie version thereof.
- 19:09 – Lady, that’s a cross, not a crucifix. You can tell by the lack of a Jesus.
- 21:44 – I like Dean bonding with Michael with the “big brother” thing, especially as prior to now I think it’s always been Sam connecting to the children throughout the season.
- 22:45 – Ogdenville, North Haverbrook & Brockway? Nice shout out to the greatest Simpsons episode ever! (“Marge vs. the Monorail,” if you aren’t sure)
- 23:43 – So, the shtriga is hiding as the doctor. That’s pretty damned sneaky.
- 25:52 – Time for Dean to launch into an angsty guilt-ridden flashback.
- 28:15 – Apparently this thing tried to feed off of Sam while Dean abandoned him to hit the video game arcade. Kind of explains Dean’s slight overprotectiveness towards his little bro.
- 32:43 – The kid’s a pretty decent actor.
- 36:43 – That’s a lot of shots for two handguns.
- 38:03 – Yeah, I think I’d keep shooting the sumbitch just to make sure. Also liked the thematic tie in to the flashbacks by having the shtriga begin consuming Sam again, trying to finish up the meal it started sixteen years back.
There wasn’t a whole lot to this episode. It seemed very much a rote,monster of the week type of story. It certainly wasn’t bad, and the tie in to Dean’s past guilt and the flashbacks worked really well in upping the stakes. I don’t know, it just doesn’t feel like there’s much to say about the episode that I haven’t already covered in the bullet points.