A quick note by way of introduction may be required here. For quite some time now, certain members of the Richmond WriMos have been trying to persuade me to watch the CW show Supernatural. I have relented and am now embarking on watching Supernatural via the wonders of Netflix. This series of posts will simply be my first impressions, almost stream of consciousness style, presented in the form of the time elapsed in the episode and my thoughts expressed as bullet points. It’s effectively live tweeting the episodes except I don’t have to stick to 140 characters or fewer. So without further ado here’s my take on:
Season 1 Episode 13 – “Route 666”
- 00:59 – Whoever is driving that truck is gunning it so hard that the engine sounds like a Formula 1 car.
- 01:10 – Looks like this week we’re getting double dose of cliches, both an Inevitable Teaser Death and a Black Dude Dies First.
- 02:40 – Ghost Truck! You know, that idea kind of sucked when it was Maximum Overdrive and that at least had AC/DC music to redeem it.
- 04:20 – I assume this Cassie has to be something damned special for Dean to break the masquerade for her.
- 04:35 – Oh, Jared Padalecki, you’re not good at conveying anger here, it comes off like being scolded by a slightly maddened sheep.
- 05:15 – Hmm, racial subtext kind of becoming text. Not sure that’s a wise move.Also, the mayor is wearing a bolo tie. He’s clearly of the devil.
- 07:59 – Episode is kind of boring so far. Though I do have Simon & Garfunkel stuck in my head due to Dean referring to Cassie’s mom as Mrs Robinson.
- 10:22 – Yay! The boys are suiting up. The Winchesters look 20% more badass in suits, even if it’s just to attend a funeral. Suits even upgrade Sam’s hair from “terrible” to “almost redeemable.”
- 11:52 – And our exposition fairy of the week is random African-American guy who worked with Cassie’s dad.
- 13:36 – Sam sounds almost gleeful when he realizes that Cassie dumped Dean.
- 16:13 – Did they just hook up by fighting?
- 16:40 – Blind Faith, you aren’t bad, but you still aren’t AC/DC.
- 17:48 – Well, Ghost Truck isn’t racist as it’s pursuing Mayor Bolo Tie
- 22:49 – Uh oh, Cassie’s about to get real trucked up. Also, the actress is wearing the heck out of those jeans.
- 24:48 – Dean going for the “blunt force metaphor” approach of winning over Mrs Robinson’s sympathy. Not really working.
- 25:26 – Ooh, did Mommy Robinson kill Cyrus?
- 27:15 – Supernatural, one of the few network shows willing to talk about burning a children’s church choir to death. I blame an enraged Sesame Street fan sick of episodes brought to you by the letters ‘C,’ ‘H,’ and the number ‘6.’
- 29:09 – I feel the need to apologize to Mayor Bolo Tie. It seems he was a vaguely decent mam after all.
- 31:39 – I missed something. Where did the boys get that tractor from?
- 32:25 – Body burning time!
- 32:54 – “So burning the body had no effect on that thing?” “Sure it did. Now it’s really pissed.” Heh.
- 34:26 – They better not damage the car. It’s one of my favorite characters.
- 35:32 – I’m still bemoaning the lack of AC/DC. The truck/car chase needed some “Highway to Hell”
- 36:11 – Okay, the truck dissolving right there was a pretty bloody great visual.
- 36:54 – “Maybe!?” I laughed at that line from Dean.
- 37:51- Ouch. Welcome back to Dumpsville, Dean.
You might have gathered this from the above, but I really didn’t care for this episode. It was kind of dull, which means the show is 0 for 2 when vehicles figure heavily into the plots so far. The Dean/Cassie romance plot at least livened up proceedings somewhat but this doesn’t seem the sort of show that can sustain long relationships of that nature so I kind of assumed that the pair wouldn’t be a couple by the time the credits rolled around.
I liked the idea of tackling some of the sordid history of race relations with the police and interracial couples and so forth in the USA’s recent past, but I’m not sure a show whose leads are two lily white boys ostensibly from Kansas is the right one to be telling that story.
Also for some kind of demonic, hellfire inspired truck it looked way too ordinary as a villain. Couldn’t the show have stolen a leaf from Ghost Rider‘s handbook and have it belching flames or something.