A quick note by way of introduction may be required here. For quite some time now, certain members of the Richmond WriMos have been trying to persuade me to watch the CW show Supernatural. I said that I would do so after I had finished marathon watching the entirety of the Star Trek franchise, which meant every episode and movie from 1966 through to 2012. Since I have now done, that I have relented and am now embarking on watching Supernatural via the wonders of Netflix. This post, and others that follow will simply be my first impressions, almost stream of consciousness style, presented in the form of the time elapsed in the episode and my thoughts expressed as bullet points. It’s effectively live tweeting the episodes except I don’t have to stick to 140 characters or fewer. So without further ado here’s my take on:
Season 1 Episode 1 – “Pilot”
- 00:28 – This older brother has terrible hair.
- 02:23 – Wait, if he’s sleeping in front of the TV, who’s holding baby Sammy?
- 03:10 – Holy Crap! I didn’t see the mother’s immolation coming!
- 03:54 – I suddenly have a song by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown stuck in my head.
- 04:58 – Baby Sam grew up to be kind of goofy looking (by TV standards)
- 05:54 – I’m calling it now, the woman in the nurse costume won’t survive to the end of the episode
- 06:23 – Turn the bloody lights on!
- 07:03 – BRO FIGHT!
- 08:55 – Exposition overload! Yeah, this is definitely a pilot. Liking the banter between the bros. So far getting a hybrid Buffy/X-Files vibe from the show.
- 10:37 – Yeah, I can totally see Mulder delivering this speech about disappearances on a certain stretch of road.
- 12:41 – Loving the soundtrack
- 13:29 – Dude is so, so dead
- 16:16 – Yep.
- 17:03 – Oh, you did not just dis Sabbath, Motorhead & Metallica you floppy-haired twerp
- 17:14 – “Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole” – Damn right.
- 19:50 – Hey! Leave the “X-Files” cracks to me
- 22:09 – Kids drowning in a bath tub and suicide by bridge jump. This is a watery episode, other than the Mom’s fiery death in the teaser
- 26:02 – Daddy’s kind of a slob
- 27:52 – That last exchange between the brothers was slashier than most fan fiction…
- 32:21 – If I’m the dude in the cap, I’m punching Sam in the face right about now.
- 34:40 – Okay, the Woman in White’s sudden appearance got a jump scare out of me
- 34:45 – Seems Sammy’s been sleeping around on Nurse Girl…
- 37:58 – Ghost kiddies!
- 38:30 – Neat visual FX on the ghost kiddie/Mom confrontation
- 41:43 – Well, I called it at 05:54 but didn’t expect it to be so reminiscent of the Mom’s death. I’m guessing this puts Sam off of law school for a while
Well, this seems like a pretty good show, and very much in my wheelhouse. Some of the beats were a little predictable, but then it’s a pilot.